Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Thing 15-Library 2.0 Perspectives

Tom Storey suggests in his Next Space article in the OCLC newsletter that "...the Web becomes the center of a new digital lifestyle that changes our culture and touches every aspect of our lives..." I think he is correct--to a point.

The web lifestyle really is for those who have the leisure time to devote to sitting in front of a computer screen. In libraries that time is limited to "off-desk" hours for those of us with public service duties and to specifically scheduled time for those of us who serve mainly internal customers.

At home a digital lifestyle, at least for me, is less attainable. As a mother, wife, and owner of an old home, much of my time is spent in low-tech, old-school activities, like cooking, cleaning, bathing children, and sitting with them while they do their homework on MY computer. My son has a digital lifestyle, in that he has the limited responsibilities of youth to devote the time to sufing the web and finding out all of its "hot" and new offerings; while his mother is downstairs doing laundry, painting the livingroom, or grocery shopping.

Well, I guess that is why we have retirement. At that time, I will have the time to sit and fiddle on the computer while my adult children will have the day-to-day responsibilies of jobs and family to eat into their leisure time. The grandchildren and I can do whatever iteration of text messaging and web surfing that will then be in vogue.

No comments: